Pensioners to be encouraged to claim for council tax

The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) is writing to 200,000 pensioners who receive pension credit to encourage them to contact their local council to check if they are entitled to help with the council tax or housing costs. Pensions minister Rosie Winterton said the government wanted everyone to receive the help they are entitled to, and some people on pension credit may not be aware that they can also receive help with their rent and council tax.